December 5, 2023–Did you know you can deduct the full purchase price of your new Sciton equipment from your gross taxable income by 12/31/23 through the Section 179 tax deduction—reducing your taxable income and potentially unlocking additional cash flow for continued practice investments?*
Section 179 offers a potential tax deduction of up to $1,160,000, allowing medical practices to benefit from a tax deduction for the cost of qualifying purchases, such as new equipment, in the year it was purchased.
To qualify for a Section 179 tax deduction on your 2023 taxes, it’s essential to purchase and place qualifying equipment and technology into service by 12/31/2023.
Section 179 eligibility criteria include:
- Up to a $1,160,000 tax deduction
- $2,890,000 equipment purchase limit
- 80% first-year bonus depreciation
*Consult with your tax professional for specific Section 179 eligibility and benefits guidance.
How the Section 179 deduction works
Let’s break down how the Section 179 deduction works and what it means for your practice. Let’s say you’ve purchased a new piece of equipment for $100,000. If this qualifies as an eligible asset, you may be able to deduct the entire equipment cost from your taxable income. For example, if your tax rate is 32%, this could result in potential tax savings of $32,000. Financed purchases are also eligible.1
Boost savings with bonus depreciation
Once you reach the Section 179 cap, there’s still potential to deduct the remaining portion of your qualifying purchase using a different section of the tax code known as “Bonus Depreciation” or “100% expensing.”
Medical practices can leverage both Section 179 and Bonus Depreciation, with the Section 179 deduction taking precedence. For assets placed into service in 2023, bonus depreciation has been reduced from 100% to 80% and will continue decreasing by 20% each subsequent year until it is fully phased out in 2027. This underscores the importance of making strategic investments before the end of the year.1
Reach out to a Sciton sales expert in your area to discover the advantages of integrating a Sciton platform into your practice today.
Consult with your tax advisor today
A qualified financial services expert can guide you through the options available to you. Understanding the deadlines is essential to maximize deductions and capitalize on opportunities to invest in your practice, considering the reduction in bonus depreciation beginning in 2023.
Bundle Sciton’s products for bigger savings and better results
Take advantage of Section 179 benefits before the year-end deadline with Sciton’s most sought-after treatment brands.
Whether you’re thinking about upgrading your existing Sciton platform with additional award-winning modules or investing in a new system, keep reading to explore some of Sciton’s most popular treatment brands.
Customizable laser and light-powered platforms
Sciton offers expandable skincare platforms with a wide range of treatment options that can be added to an existing platform over time, allowing practitioners to cater to diverse patient needs and preferences.
- JOULE®: Sciton’s flagship platform is configurable with more than ten award-winning laser and light-based treatments for improving the appearance of aging skin. It features in-demand power brands, such as BBL® HERO™, HALO®, and ZoomScan™.
- mJOULE™: This platform offers face and full-body skin revitalization and prejuvenation treatments. Highly sought-after treatments on this platform include BBL® HERO™, MOXI™, ClearV®, and ClearSilk®.
- BARE HR™: Sciton’s high-speed laser hair removal platform is suitable for all skin types and can be used year-round. It’s an ideal choice for practices looking to attract and nurture patients and stay profitable with laser hair removal.
Favorite consumer brands
BBL® HERO™ light-based treatments — The fastest light-based technology for youthful-looking skin.
BBL HERO represents the greatest advancement in Intense Pulsed (IPL) treatments. This BroadBand light (BBL®) device introduces novel design innovations that enhance precision and customization in treatments, offering a faster, more effective, and comfortable alternative to IPL.
Proven in clinical studies, BBL has been shown to delay the appearance of aging. In one study by Dr. Patrick Bitter, Jr, MD, FAAD, and Dr. Jason Pozner, MD, FAAD, it was found ‘that patients adhering to an annual or biannual regimen of BBL treatments over 5 to 11 years experienced a notable reduction and delay in the appearance of skin aging, such as photodamage, telangiectasias, and skin laxity, in a natural-looking way.’²
Recognized by NewBeauty Magazine as one of the Best Innovations in 2021, BBL HERO addresses various skin conditions, including acne, rosacea, pigmented lesions, photoaging, photodamage, sunspots, vascular lesions, and the appearance of skin laxity in a comfortable, minimal downtime procedure.
BBL HERO is available on Sciton’s JOULE and mJOULE platforms.
- Rapid full-body treatments: Perform head-to-toe treatments in as little as three minutes, covering large areas like the back, legs, and arms in a single session.
- Expanded range of cut‐off filters: BBL HERO’s change-on-the-fly smart filters enable the treatment of various skin conditions with a single handpiece, distinguishing it from IPL devices that require different handpieces for each wavelength.
- Powerful cooling & single-degree adjustability: BBL HERO’s advanced cooling maintains the desired sapphire chill plate temperature with one degree of variability—ensuring patient comfort and consistent results during treatment.
- Stacked treatments: When combined with other Sciton modalities like HALO®, MOXI™, or ProFractional™, BBL dramatically improves the appearance of scars, hyperpigmentation, large pores, and uneven skin texture in all skin types.
- High-demand treatment category with lucrative ROI: BBL HERO is positioned in a high-demand treatment category, providing a lucrative return on investment for providers.
MOXI™ laser treatments — The perfect complement to every patient’s skincare regimen—no matter the skin type or season.
As the demand for minimally invasive beauty treatments rises among millennials, medical practices and med spas can seize this opportunity and tap into the largest U.S. consumer group with Sciton’s 1927 nm fractionated non-ablative laser—MOXI.
A favorite among millennials, MOXI has also gained popularity as a sought-after “Hollywood treatment” since its debut in June 2020.
Since its launch, celebrities and bloggers who’ve shared their treatment results on social media have catapulted MOXI into the spotlight, heightening its brand recognition. According to Google Analytics, there’s been a staggering 900% surge in online search demand for MOXI.
MOXI is available on Sciton’s mJOULE platform.
- Prejuvenation favorite: Catering to the ‘prejuvenation’ demographic, MOXI is ideal for first-time laser patients seeking a preventative solution to delay the appearance of aging skin. It’s also the perfect treatment for those who want to maintain beautiful skin.
- Quick and convenient: A swift 12-15 minute lunchtime procedure with minimal to no downtime or discomfort sets MOXI apart from other laser skin treatments. It is a versatile option for skin revitalization, light correction, and overall skin health maintenance for all skin types and ages.
- Stack for optimal outcomes: When combined with BBL HERO, MOXI remarkably improves pigment, tone, and texture in all skin types.
HALO® laser treatments — The multi-award-winning hybrid fractional laser for an unmatched improvement in the appearance of aging skin.
The demand for aesthetic treatments continues to surge, with the global medical aesthetics market rising from $9.88 billion in 2022 to $11.19 billion in 2023.³
One aesthetic treatment that has continued to rise in popularity over the last 12 years is Sciton’s HALO laser—the first hybrid laser to deliver a non-ablative 1470 nm and ablative 2940 nm wavelength to the same microscopic treatment zone for a complete transformation in the appearance of aging skin.
From fine lines and wrinkles to hyperpigmentation, acne scars, enlarged pores, skin dullness, pigmented lesions, and more, HALO provides a comprehensive solution for patients of all skin types.
RealSelf.com, a leading cosmetic procedure review site, boasts hundreds of positive reviews and before and after images of HALO treatments. Patients have even coined the phrase “HALO glow” to describe their flawless complexion after treatment.
HALO is offered on Sciton’s JOULE platform.
- Consistent, predictable, and impressive results: Clinicians who perform HALO achieve a visible improvement in the appearance of aged or damaged skin, often in just one to two treatments, depending on the patient’s skin condition.
- High consumer brand recognition and demand: HALO consistently garners accolades for outstanding patient satisfaction. Healthcare providers value HALO’s robust consumer brand recognition, which results in patients requesting this treatment by name. Most recently, HALO has been named the 2023 New Beauty Award Winner for Best Multitasking Laser.
- Maximum revenue with superior return on investment (ROI): Data from Sciton iQ™, a proprietary, real-time treatment analytics system, reveals that HALO customers across the U.S. earn, on average, 4x their monthly lease payment in treatment revenue. Moreover, HALO boasts over 2x higher consult requests than other facial laser competitors, resulting in 59% higher revenue per treatment.4
BARE HR™ laser hair removal treatments — The super-fast laser hair removal treatment for patients of all skin types, year-round.
In 2021, Sciton launched BARE HR—its first high-speed laser hair removal system designed for ultra-fast, efficacious hair reduction on patients of all skin types.
The response from patients and providers was overwhelmingly positive, culminating in BARE HR receiving New Beauty’s 2022 Best of Beauty Innovation Award just one year later.
- Unrivaled speed and effectiveness: BARE HR is renowned for its rapid treatment of large areas, proven to be 3x faster and more effective than common competitor devices. It can treat large body parts in just minutes, thanks to its 4800 watts of power and extra-large spot sizes.
- Patient comfort: BARE HR prioritizes patient comfort with built-in system cooling at 5 degrees C, enhancing the patient experience throughout the procedure and minimizing post-treatment downtime and side effects.
- Delegable to staff: BARE HR’s user-friendly software, including an easy-to-use touch screen, facilitates easy delegation of treatments to staff members, subject to state regulations. It seamlessly integrates into any practice with a standard 110V outlet.
- Customizable platform: The BARE HR platform can be configured to meet the unique needs of every patient year-round. The system features two handpieces delivering the traditional 810 nm wavelength and a blend handpiece simultaneously delivering 810, 940, and 1060 nm wavelengths—ideal for diverse skin tones, including darker or tanned skin (Fitzpatrick skin types 4-6) throughout the year, even in summer.
ClearSilk® laser treatments — The ‘lunchtime facial’ treatment before a big event.
ClearSilk (1064 nm Nd:YAG) is a no-downtime, non-ablative laser treatment for an overall brightening effect. Unlike other laser treatments, ClearSilk can be performed before a party or special occasion for a glowing first impression.
The treatment’s gentle yet powerful technology reduces the appearance of flushing/blushing, redness, uneven texture, pigmented lesions, rosacea, and (acne) scars. The result? A smoother, more vibrant complexion with the appearance of tighter and plumper skin building over time. ClearSilk may also be used as a gentle and effective treatment alternative for acne in younger patients.
ClearSilk is available on Sciton’s mJOULE vascular platform and the JOULE platform.
- No downtime, pre-event skin revitalization: ClearSilk is the most popular treatment in my office, says Dr. Rebecca Gelber, MD, owner of Tahoe Aesthetic Medicine in Incline Village, NV. Performing ClearSilk the day before or the day of a big event, Dr. Gelber notes that patients experience a post-ClearSilk glow akin to a photo finish, airbrushed makeup—perfect for weddings or special occasions.5
- Quick & comfortable: ClearSilk is typically performed in 10-30 minutes with minimal to no recovery time. Patients can promptly resume daily activities and apply makeup immediately after. ClearSilk does not require disposables, anesthetics, or ultrasound gel.
- Versatile year-round application: ClearSilk’s 1064 nm wavelength makes it effective for year-round application on skin types I-VI and sun-exposed skin.
- Easy to train staff: ClearSilk’s design innovations and user-friendly interface make it easy for providers to delegate the treatment to staff (subject to state regulations).
- Combine for optimal results: Dr. Gelber stacks ClearSilk before injectables to enhance healing and amplify results. For example, when combined with BBL, ClearSilk visibly improves various skin concerns like rosacea, poikiloderma, and photoaging.
May the New Year bring you peace, joy, and a new Sciton
Still have questions on which Sciton laser system is right for your practice? Reach out to a laser specialist today to learn more.
Capitalize on the 2023 Section 179 tax deduction before it’s too late, and save on a new system by December 31!
*Disclaimer: This information is not intended as tax advice, a guarantee of savings, or a promise of reduced tax liability. Federal rules and tax guidelines are subject to change. Consult with your tax advisor or visit www.irs.gov for the latest information.
4Internal Sciton iQ data